Drumragh Sarsfields G.F.C were formed in 1972 after the amalgamation of Tattysallagh St Eugenes and Tattyreagh St Patricks at a time when neither club was particularly pleased with its performance.
St Eugenes, founded in the late 1890’s was one of the oldest clubs locally, and won the County Junior Championship in 1942.
During the 1940’s & 50’s, the Tattysallagh / Omagh derby was a fascinating contest; one such reported game in 1956 resulted in a narrow victory for St.Endas. the victors team consisted of T.Turbett, the Donnelly’s, J.Taggart, J.Martin, S McBrearts and J.Bonner, whilst the losers were represented by Captain Laim McFarland, Frank Colton, Brendan Barrett, Peter McKenna, L.Nugent and J McGale.
Tattyreagh for their part were established in 1919 and won the Omagh mid-week league in 1938.
The New team was to play as Drumragh Sarsfields, so named by the late Hugh Gallagher, after Patrick Sarsfield, a leader of the Irish forces 1688-92, who dies fighting for France.
Tattysallagh, Tattyreagh unite under Drumragh Sarsfields
On Sunday 16th January, Tattysllagh and Tattyreagh G.F.C.’s joined forces to promote two new teams in the parish under the banner of Drumragh Sarsfields as it was unamnously felt by both sides that to continue alone would be highly impossible as the pool of players was not large enough to create enough interest.
It was honestly felt by all that were keenly interested in keeping the National game alive in the area that this solution was much better than the two individual sides having to completely fold altogether.
After some serious consultations the two sides met in St.Eugene’s Hall, Clanabogan, and drafted out the following officers for the coming year; Chairman, P Starrs: Vice-Chairman, Peter McGlone: Secretary, Celsus Starrs: Treasurer, P McGread: Assistant Treasurer, Dominic Darcy. Committee members, Peter McGlone, P McFarland, P Mullin, J Campbell, J Darcy and P Conlon. Delegates to the West-Tyrone board: J Darcy, B Starrs, P Mullin, C Starrs.
It was also decided by those present that Peter McGlone, along with J Darcy and Chairman P Starrs, would be completely responsible for the choosing of the teams.
It was earnestly hoped that the new club would get the support of all the people in the area concerned in order to keep the GAA interest alive in the community.
The following players are requested to be in St Eugene’s Hall, Clanabogan tonight (Thursday) at 8pm for training session: S and D Montgomery, P Conlon, B Lowry, P McGinn, D Darcy, J Darcy, B Darcy, Peter Mc Glone, P McGlone, K McGlone, D Mullan, J Grugan, A Hagney, Egormley, J Maguire, M Darcy, D Sheridan, D Taggart, L McFarlane, M O’Neill, C Moore, P McGiven, K and E McCann, S McCrory, P Mullan, T Baxter, B Starrs, L Mcfarland, John Bradley, P McMenamin, M and B Starrs, M and C Quinn, B McKenna, Tony McBride, N Colton, P Mullan, T Campbell, Willie McFarland, S McCann, J McLaughlin, K McLaughlin, F and S Loughran, M McGee, J Mc Swiggan, D McCormick, and J Sloan.
Any other person interested and who may have been inadvertentily omitted is earnestly asked to attend. The above players are requested to bring slippers and togs.
All players are also requested to note that a challenge games has been fixed for Sunday next at 3.30. all players must turn out for this game.